【I am very sorry. This class is not currently offered.】
This is a basic class where you can experience shaving Katsuobushi/ dried bonito, and enjoy dashi/ Japanese broth. We’ll also make miso soup, onigiri/ rice balls, and dashi-maki tamago/ a Japanese style rolled omelet, karaage/Japanese style fried chicken as a simple lunch. The class will also include an introduction to katsuobushi and its production.
●Onigiri/ rice balls with katsuobushi flakes
●Dashimaki tamago/ Japanese omelet with dashi broth
●karaage/ Japanese style fried chicken
●Tofu and abraage miso soup
●Furikake/ rice seasoning with leftover katsuobushi flakes
●Nuka pickled cucumber
1) I will meet first-time guests at Heiwadai station and walk with them to my house. We can get to know each other as we walk!
2) After we arrive, we'll wash up and enjoy some Japanese green tea while we learn a little bit about katsuobushi.
3) I'll show you how to handle the shaver and how to shave katsuobushi. There will be extras for you to take home and practice what you’ve learned when you cook your own Dashi broth (20g per person, for 1 liter of broth).
4) We will make dashi with the kombu and katsuobushi flakes that we've shaved. Please taste it and enjoy the flavor of dashi.
5) We are going to make dashimaki tamago, karaage and miso soup with the dashi we made. We'll also make furikake and rice balls with leftover katsuobushi flakes from the dashi. The flakes still have a lot of nutrients left in them.
6) Let's have lunch. We're excited to listen to your story.
7) When you leave, I’ll walk you back to where we first met.
I was born and raised in Tokyo, Japan, where l raised two children. I hold a chef's license, am qualified food education instructor, dashi/Japanese broth specialist and Japanese tea advisor.
After culinary school, I worked as an instructor at a cooking school. I learned a lot during this time and cooking at home for my family further improved my cooking skills.
Occasionally, I hold cooking classes at my house for residents in the Tokyo area both Japanese and people from other countries.
I’m friendly and talkative. I enjoy eating, cooking, and I’m also very interested in the food culture of the world. When I visited foreign countries, I always found that visiting food markets was more interesting than visiting tourist attractions. I want to know what normal people normally eat at home and I wonder if someone has the same idea as me. That’s why I decided to start hosting cooking classes for international tourists.
I love seeing people smiling while eating. I would be extremely happy if I could make you smile with my food!
I look forward to cooking with you at my house.
The closest station
How to get to the station?
From Ikebukuro station : 10mins
Free pick up service
This host can pick up you for free from the closest station!
Exact location provided after booking.
It costs 5000 per person.
Please go to Heiwadai which takes 10 mins from Ikebukuro station . Then Mika (host) will pick you up there!
Up to 4 people can join Mika's cooking class.
Duration of this cooking class is 2.5 hours.
You will receive the confirmation within 24 hours.
We accepts these cards on airKitchen.
Cancellations up to 48 hours prior to the class begins will be fully refunded by the airKitchen cancellation policy.